Re: Adding openresolv to base

On Wed, Mar 25, 2009 at 05:27:23PM +0000, Roy Marples wrote:

> I agree that you need your custom scripts to handle your custom needs
> (such as restarting NAT, etc). I disagree that custom scripts should be
> a requirement to apply DNS in this day and age.
[...]
> I would propose these default ppp scripts
[...]

Now, what is it? :)

> You have not demonstrated a standard tool to allow multiple interfaces
> to manage this.

For each interface you write the data into a parameter file. m4
will merge all data and apply the selection logic. If you think
this is too complex for m4, chose a real language.

> handle this. Maybe each user should be forced to write their own
> dhclient-script like for ppp? I think not.

But users already do this because writing resolv.conf is only
one of the tasks.

> The above allows us to create a simple GUI for configuring PPPoE with
> these boxes

All this is completely unrelated to GUIs.

> Maybe it's me, but I'm really missing the bit where your telling me what
> this other information obtained from the link is.

Network parameters, routes, Web proxy settings, Mail gateway, .....
I mentioned that. The fact that your dhcp client and your resolv.conf
writing tool doen't care about it don't make a difference.

Greetings,
--
                                Michael van Elst
Internet: mlelstv%serpens.de@localhost