Re: Adding a simple editor to the base system

On Thu, Feb 12, 2009 at 10:51:28AM +0200, markucz%gmail.com@localhost wrote:
> > user:
> > - may not want to learn
> Sooner or later he'll have to.

Tell that to the guy on the phone in the data centre and tell it to your
wife. "Sooner or later you'll have to learn this Unix thing."

> Being user friendly is fine, but being
> lazy-user predicting is just stupid. I still think putting a notice how to
> use man(1) and which man pages to read first in /etc/skel/{.profile,.login}
> is a better solution.

So your proposition is: right off the bat we force new users to spend time
reading technical literature in order to learn an editor (vi) that behaves
unlike almost every other visual editor made for a consumer microcomputer.

This winning strategy excludes a basic skill held by most young adults in
the western world: using a text editor. How will this help to attract and
retain new users, and what benefit does it have for existing users?