Re: Adding a simple editor to the base system

David Brownlee <abs%absd.org@localhost> wrote:
>       This was originally brought up on netbsd-desktop, now
>       redirected here as a more relevant forum.
>
>       I'd like to propose we add a simple text editor to the base
>       system. The obvious candidate is 'ee' from FreeBSD (who
>       have been including it since 1995).

I think pkgsrc and Desktop NetBSD is the right place for this. Minimalism [*]
and lightness are the things which distinguish NetBSD from others.

It is understandable that for new users vi might be hard. However, since there
is a Desktop NetBSD project now, why newbie would want to pick NetBSD mini,
instead of desktop? Unless newbie wants to learn...

When I tried vi first time, it did not look very attractive. But that is how
one learns something about UNIX. I use vi (or vim) nearly every day now. :)

* Do not get me wrong, nothing against new features or options per se.

--
Best regards,
Mindaugas