Re: SoC: Improve syslogd

On Thu, May 29, 2008 at 1:50 PM, Rainer Gerhards
<rgerhards%gmail.com@localhost> wrote:
> I could do a quick test. Unfortunately, it does not work. You will
> always see EAGAIN - no matter if the underlying connection is broken
> or not. While on the road, I did also think about this method. From a
> theoretical point of view, I think it can not work.  I'll elaborate a
> bit later as I need to head to the next meeting (I just found time to
> squeeze the quick test into today's busy schedule...).

I have finally managed to write up why it is impossible to do reliable
(syslog) message transmission over plain tcp without an app-layer
acknowledgement:

http://blog.gerhards.net/2008/05/why-you-cant-build-reliable-tcp.html

I consider the conclusion to be final. I would be more than glad to be
proven wrong, but I don't see any way how this could happen.

Rainer