Re: The essential problems of moving from CVS

On Mon, Jan 18, 2010 at 08:22:45PM +0100, Joerg Sonnenberger wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 18, 2010 at 01:59:35PM -0500, D. Richard Hipp wrote:
> > I suppose my biggest concern with Fossil and NetBSD is how Fossil
> > might scale.  We use Fossil on projects with a 1GB or larger
> > check-out and with thousands and thousands of files.  But I didn't
> > really design fossil for truly huge projects.  How big is NetBSD?
>
> Working copy of src is around 1.7GB with 267k files and 40k directories.
> Working copy of pkgsrc is around 334MB with 99k files and 27k
> directories.
>
> > How large is your CVS repository?
>
> A cvs2svn trace of src from a while ago ended up with round 240k revisions.
> The src tree itself is 3.9GB. The pkgsrc tree on the other hand is
> 913MB.
>
> > How many check-ins do you do per day?
>
> Typically a few dozen for each.
>
> > How many developers do you have?
>
> Maybe 20-30 developers with regular commits (e.g. typically at least one
> commit per week).

For those interested in playing w/ fossil, see pkgsrc/devel/fossil.
It needs to be updated to reflect newer src available (see latest
@ http://www.fossil-scm.org/download/), and perhaps should actually be
renamed from pkgsrc/devel/fossil -> pkgsrc/devel/scmfossil (as per scmgit,
scmcvs), but is simple way to introduce yourself to fossil.

-bch

--

Brad Harder,
Method Logic Digital Consulting