Re: Why are pkgsrc version numbers named after Dewey?

Am 20.08.2022 um 20:07 schrieb Alistair Crooks:
On Sat, Aug 20, 2022 at 06:46 Roland Illig wrote:
    Why are the version numbers of pkgsrc packages called Dewey numbers? The
    concepts of a decimal classification scheme and a version number are
    completely distinct.

    I'd like to completely eliminate this term from pkgsrc. Just because Ant
    and FreeBSD didn't come up with a better term more than 20 years ago
    doesn't mean that we should stick to this confusing mistake.

But.... you didn't say what you wanted to call it, so that leaves me
wondering if we're in the same position as 24 years ago :)

The names I have in mind are:

dewey_cmp -> pkgversion_cmp (in analogy to PKGVERSION)
dewey_match -> pkgname_match (in analogy to PKGNAME)

dewey_mktest may even become redundant, as the comparison operator could
be passed as a string literal instead:

    pkgname_match("package-1.0", "<=", "package-2.0nb17")

This looks easy enough to understand.

I'll experiment a bit and will present a more concrete suggestion after
gaining more experience.

Roland