Re: Why are pkgsrc version numbers named after Dewey?

On Sat, Aug 20, 2022 at 06:46 Roland Illig <roland.illig%gmx.de@localhost> wrote:
Hi,

Why are the version numbers of pkgsrc packages called Dewey numbers? The
concepts of a decimal classification scheme and a version number are
completely distinct.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dewey_Decimal_Classification
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_versioning

I'd like to completely eliminate this term from pkgsrc. Just because Ant
and FreeBSD didn't come up with a better term more than 20 years ago
doesn't mean that we should stick to this confusing mistake.

Roland

My fault, I couldn't think of a better name for it.

It predates everything else, which was part of my problem back then

I also had a version of test(1), with the ability to do comparisons, -lt and -gt etc

Perry did point out the error of my ways a couple of years later, but I felt it was too late to change by that time. If you do want to change it now, pls go for it

But.... you didn't say what you wanted to call it, so that leaves me wondering if we're in the same position as 24 years ago :)