Re: categories of science: math biology geography ? and?

David Holland <dholland-pkgtech%netbsd.org@localhost> writes:

> scipy, like numpy, is numerics, and it would make some sense to
> separate those from math. It would also make a clear place to put
> machine learning toolkits, which currently I think are mostly getting
> dumped in devel.
>
> (That is, if we're going to be making new categories, I kind of think
> "numerics" would be a good one to add.)

I'm ok with that if it can be expected to hold 50-100.   I am far more
comfortable with putting computational stuff like that into numerics as
a split category from math; I think they get used for many thing beyond
what I'd call science/sciences.   For example, various matrix algebra
stuff gets used for surveying, and that's engineering not science.

> I also kind of feel like "sciences" would be a better name than
> "science", but that gets into TEAL WITH CREAM ACCEConnection closed by
> foreign host.

:-)