Re: categories of science: math biology geography ? and?

27.07.2022 14:08:25 Greg Troxel <gdt%lexort.com@localhost>:
> I'm not sure about CATEGORIES; the only thing I see that isn't a
> directory name is python.  But honestly I don't pay attention because it
> isn't useful to me.    Probably pkglint complains about something that's
> unusual, maybe now, maybe tomorrow now that I've said this.

Yes, pkglint already complains. I haven't touched that code for years, and I have no plans of doing anything in that area. Pkglint just codifies the existing practice that is documented in https://www.netbsd.org/docs/pkgsrc/components.html#components.Makefile.

Several years ago (maybe even 15), the additional categories were used for symlinking binary packages. I don't know of anybody who missed these symlinks after they were removed. The subdirectory packages/All is the last reminder of these times.