Re: Un-breaking lang/tcl? (Re: 2022Q2 freeze has started)

Am Mon, 20 Jun 2022 05:56:39 -0400
schrieb Greg Troxel <gdt%lexort.com@localhost>:

> I am having trouble following (because I don't know the tcl build
> system).  Are you essentially proposing to revert a specific change
> that is causing problems?

Yes. This change is present since the tcl 8.5 update, by a person who
is not working on pkgsrc anymore. My guess is that there was a change
in how tcl modules are installed and the old way was preferred for a
while or it was simply because writing PLIST is easier (fewer detailed
version numbers).

> What is the big picture of versioned vs
> unversioned files in tcl?  The PLIST change seems odd as the various
> files coming and going don't seem related.

They are tightly related, that's why I grouped them in the diff:

-lib/tcl${BASEVER}/http/http.tcl
-lib/tcl${BASEVER}/http/pkgIndex.tcl
+lib/tcl8/8.6/http-2.9.5.tm

This is the http module in two differing forms. The default upstream
install creates the single .tm file, the pkgsrc patch enforces the .tcl
file in a subdirectory with pkgIndex.tcl.

> (But that's not an issue
> if this is backing out a previous odd change.)

This is my current position: It was an odd change, or at least is an
odd change nowadays.

So OK to commit? I must admit that I don't know know the details about
the differing ways of Tcl installation.

Alrighty then,

Thomas

--