Re: Discussion about pkgsrc dependencies and default build options

On 5/11/22 10:39, Dr. Thomas Orgis wrote:
Am Wed, 11 May 2022 00:53:08 +0000 (UTC)
schrieb John Klos <john%ziaspace.com@localhost>:

For instance, there has been talk for years about the possibility of
moving from CVS to git. However, it would be silly for that move to happen
before we started including git in base, or at very least had a very much
paired down, minimal git-base in pkgsrc.
I think the idea with Mercurial was to rely on a Mercurial in pkgsrc,
that's the last I've heard about development setup with a potential
new version control, and if someone writes a minimal Mercurial to
be included in base that would be optional.

On that note, moving to svn would be a smaller hurdle? Dependencies of
subversion-base are small in comparison. I know that people said that
svn doesn't differ enough to warrant a move, but for me cvs simply
ceased to be relevant once svn was there, as it does what cvs does,
just better (for me the branches-and-tags-as-copies is a feature, but I
know that people feel differently, the practical difference should be
small).

Using cvs in 2022 is a funny retro experience, you can make it workable
with some wrapper scripts, but the slow communication with the server
(if not using some local layer with a different vcs) is excruciating.
Switching to svn would give gain to rather small pain, as things
basically work like before.

Git is a move in base software and in development/usage model. Just
saying, back to the original discussion …

Alrighty then,

Thomas