Re: Discussion about pkgsrc dependencies and default build options

Am Wed, 11 May 2022 00:53:08 +0000 (UTC)
schrieb John Klos <john%ziaspace.com@localhost>:

> For instance, there has been talk for years about the possibility of
> moving from CVS to git. However, it would be silly for that move to happen
> before we started including git in base, or at very least had a very much
> paired down, minimal git-base in pkgsrc.

On that note, moving to svn would be a smaller hurdle? Dependencies of
subversion-base are small in comparison. I know that people said that
svn doesn't differ enough to warrant a move, but for me cvs simply
ceased to be relevant once svn was there, as it does what cvs does,
just better (for me the branches-and-tags-as-copies is a feature, but I
know that people feel differently, the practical difference should be
small).

Using cvs in 2022 is a funny retro experience, you can make it workable
with some wrapper scripts, but the slow communication with the server
(if not using some local layer with a different vcs) is excruciating.
Switching to svn would give gain to rather small pain, as things
basically work like before.

Git is a move in base software and in development/usage model. Just
saying, back to the original discussion …

Alrighty then,

Thomas

--
Dr. Thomas Orgis