Re: GCC_REQD and 32-bit arm

nia <nia%NetBSD.org@localhost> writes:

> On Sat, Apr 02, 2022 at 08:26:26AM -0400, Greg Troxel wrote:
>> I think you are saying that on arm, pkgsrc gcc[6789] are 1) ok for C/C++
>> and 2) broken for fortran.
>
> Nononono. 8, 9 don't work at all. 7 is broken for linking
> Fortran. We need at least 10 for modern C++.

I believe you but I haven't been seeing this on the lists, and I admit
to not looking in the PR database.

I still think my idea is OK: define a variable that says if a gcc
version works or is broken.

  GCC8_BROKEN?=	no
  .if [arm, or netbsd&&arm, or ?]
  GCC8_BROKEN=	yes
  .endif

and then omit setting _NEED_GCC8 if that variable is yes.

Whatever the reason for it not working, that should make the selection
act like we had removed it.

Given that gcc10 fully works, AIUI, I don't see why if one needs to
build gcc from pkgsrc that 10 isn't a good choice, so I am inclined to
define works as: can build c++ and fortran both.

We may also need something to avoid picking 6 for fortan when base is 7,
even if 6 would work.  But that could be a sort of broken, perhaps
rename broken to AVOID.