Re: infrastructure change needed for python modules

On Wed, Dec 15, 2021 at 11:45:32AM +0100, Niclas Rosenvik wrote:
> I don't really know how long you have come with this.

I think this is not very pressing.

> But I have an idea for wheel.mk . Allow pkgsrc to download
> and extract platform independent wheels. These have filenames
> following the pattern ${project}-${version}-py3-none-any.whl .
> Like build[1] for example the has build-0.7.0-py3-none-any.whl .
> They don't need building and can just be extracted to
> ${DESTDIR}${PREFIX}${sitepackages} and then packaged from what I
> understand. I think this would also remove the circular dependecy
> on tomli that Gorny mentions in his blog post since tomli
> also provides such files.

That's true, but then we install binary packages to bootstrap (or
would these packages always be using the wheels?). I think installing
from source would be nicer.

There's a project that aims to be a bootstrap from source:

https://github.com/FFY00/python-bootstrap

IIUC it has the necessary packages as submodules (don't forget to
check out the git submodules!) and uses these to make wheels for
themselves.

I'm not convinced of the approach, but I don't think there is a good
one.

> I plan to also provide pyproject.mk to use builds based on
> pyproject.toml and have wheels.mk install the wheels these create.
> The files will be in wip/mk (or should it be wip/python?) and
> moved to lang/python in pkgsrc-current after the freeze.
> How does that sound for a plan?

That sounds great!
I'd use wip/python since I suspect they'll live in lang/python later on.

Thanks,
 Thomas