Re: infrastructure change needed for python modules

On Wed, Nov 24, 2021 at 8:49 PM Benny Siegert <bsiegert%gmail.com@localhost> wrote:
> As a data point: I recently packaged a couple Python modules, and they
> came with non-working setup.py files that had to be patched. The top
> of setup.py effectively says that this is just a compatibility shim
> for people who have not switched to the new hotness in Python
> packaging.

My impression is that the way to install Python packages these days is
to run "pip install" with appropriate options. Unfortunately, that
does everything in one call, from checking dependencies (you probably
need to prevent it from downloading unfulfilled ones) to compiling and
installing. I don't see a way to separate the build and install phases
when using pip.

--
Benny