Re: GCC_REQD, the NetBSD system compiler, etc

> On Sep 23, 2021, at 4:55 AM, David Brownlee <abs%absd.org@localhost> wrote:
>
> I think there may be different levels here
>
> 1) pkgsrc gcc+deps built with system compiler to different PREFIX,
> used as external compiler for pkgsrc
> 2) pkgsrc gcc+deps built with system compiler, used as pkgsrc compiler
> 3) pkgsrc gcc+deps built with system compiler, used as pkgsrc
> compiler, then some of it rebuilt to avoid any libstd++ mixing issues
> 4) pkgsrc gcc+deps built with system compiler to different PREFIX,
> only used to rebuild pkgsrc gcc+deps

I’ll add that these issues crop up a lot on HPC systems where the native compiler is often too old to be much use for anything.  As a result, some sort of bootstrapping or manipulation of dependencies to avoid circularity in necessary.  Jason has captured much of this in his auto-pkgsrc-build script.  I think following path (1) would solve all of these issues; however, it would be a good idea to keep in mind this type of system when evaluating the options.

Cheers,
Brook