Re: GCC_REQD, the NetBSD system compiler, etc

On Thu, Sep 23, 2021 at 10:03:44AM +0100, David Brownlee wrote:
> 3) More effort into syncing patches between NetSBD and pkgsrc
> (absolute agreement on your point)

Definitively! And more effort into upstreaming patches. I would guess
core would even be willing to spend money on this as a funded project.

> 4) An automated way of bootstrapping the compiler packages built with
> later gcc versions - whether that is building gcc (and its
> dependencies) with a different PREFIX, then using that gcc to
> bootstrap that same gcc version and its dependencies into the final
> PREFIX?

I don't understand this part - which gcc version is later than what?
Are there gcc pkgs newer than gcc7 that can not directly bootstrap
with gcc 7.5?

Martin