Re: GCC_REQD, the NetBSD system compiler, etc

On Wed, Sep 22, 2021 at 12:07:29PM +0000, nia wrote:
> - In bulk builds, I see mysterious errors in packages that
>   depend on packages thathave set GCC_REQD to a newer version,
>   particularly when linking. My understanding is that GCC_REQD
>   _must_ be set in buildlink3, but this does not completely solve
>   the problem. Mixed libstdc++ versions is probably not too
>   healthy. I don't really understand what's going on here.

GCC_REQD should never be set in b3.mk. This topic has also been
discussed to death in the past. Don't mix GCC versions for non-leaf
packages. GCC_REQD in b3.mk just makes it worse. When a non-trivial set
of packages can't use the system GCC, a newer version should generally
be required.

Joerg