Re: CVS commit: pkgsrc/fonts/dejavu-ttf

On 07/25, Greg Troxel wrote:
> Everybody else has been quiet.  I'd like to hear from others about the
> big picture issue here.

One more comment (sorry, this will probably muddle things): I don't
really like it that a TrueType font package depends on anything X11;
that's an incorrect dependency, IMO.  I don't know the ins and outs of
all font formats, so I'm talking just about TrueType here, but if there
are pkgsrc font packages for fonts in formats other than TrueType that
do not have an inherent coupling with X11, I don't think they should
depend on anything X11 either.

A program that needs to render fonts could use a TrueType font without
having anything to do with X11.  The RRDtool example has already been
given.  Another example might be a DocBook toolchain that needs to
generate a PDF book.  And I'm sure there are many others that have
nothing to do with X11.

Also, it's already been said upthread, but X11 is not the only game in
town.  Wayland exists.  And what about other supported pkgsrc platforms
like macOS where X11 is not the native windowing system?

This seems to lead to needing either a registry of installed pkgsrc
fonts, or a way for the installed pkgsrc fonts to be queried from the
installed packages, so that X11, or whatever package that needs fonts,
could configure them for itself when installed, not the other way
around.

Lewis