Re: gettext vs vlc

Am Fri, 4 Jun 2021 15:34:24 +0200
schrieb Thomas Klausner <wiz%NetBSD.org@localhost>:

> autotools use gettext.m4 for detecting libintl. That is part of the
> gettext distribution which also provides libintl. I'm not sure how
> willing they would be to accept a patch for their library that accepts
> another library as a full replacement

That might be a case of „you caused the issue, you deal with it“. I
take it you _could_ install libintl from gettext and abandon the NetBSD
implementation, at least from the viewpoint of GNU folks;-)

Of course, more elaborate faking of gettext, including defining that
macro after checking that the implementation is really
feature-compatible with said version, is another solution. I guess VLC
upstream would also not be too happy to cooperate if it turns out that
the non-gettext libintl is causing some issue.

Well, I'm back to trying to handle differing implemenations of BLAS
stuff. Not going into differing implementations of libintl on top …

Alrighty then,

Thomas

--
Dr. Thomas Orgis