Re: cmake/build.mk?

On 4/29/21 9:13 AM, Thomas Klausner wrote:
On Thu, Apr 29, 2021 at 07:58:57AM -0500, Jason Bacon wrote:
You might have to.  I've run into cmake builds that don't work with make and
others that don't work with ninja.  FYI, ninja is the default on
FreeBSD, but it also offers USES=cmake:noninja for dodging ninja breakage.
A quick grep shows 1991 ports using cmake and 100 using :noninja.
Interesting, I didn't know that. I thought of a global switch, but
I'll have to make sure to allow limiting per-package.

Do you know what kind of problems one encounters?
The details of those memories have faded, but I have personally hit some ninja build failures and was told by upstream that they don't support ninja yet and I should use gmake.

My only desire regarding cmake would be increasing control over builds.  I
was looking into this a couple years ago, but it got trumped by other
priorities.  Looks like not much has changed since then.
I'm not sure what you mean here. What kind of control?
  Thomas
Like selecting make or ninja as a back-end, forcing insource or outsource builds.  I think CMAKE_ARGS can provide most controls, but not all.

    JB