Re: MAKE_JOBS.devel/cmake ineffective

On 04.11.2020 14:44, Joerg Sonnenberger wrote:
On Wed, Nov 04, 2020 at 12:18:19PM +0000, Jonathan Perkin wrote:
To me this makes more sense, and is easier to read and understand
rather than embedding the "-j".  The one difference is that now -j1
will be explicitly used when MAKE_JOBS_SAFE=no, where previously the
-j was omitted, but again to me that feels more correct anyway.

At least for bmake it makes a huge difference and not necessarily in the
right direction. -j1 and no -j are quite different modes.

To explain this a bit more:

Without the -j, each shell command for a target is run in its own
subshell, which means that exit or cd will not affect subsequent
commands.  Very simple commands completely bypass the shell, using
execvp directly.

In -j mode (whether -j1 or -j8), all shell commands of a target are
first written to a temporary shell program that is then executed.  An
exit in the first of these commands will skip all subsequent commands of
that target.