Re: the nature of pkgsrc support for OS versions (release vs stable)

On Fri, Jun 12, 2020 at 11:30:14AM -0400, Greg Troxel wrote:
> 1) But we do have a situation where
>
>   check out pkgsrc
>   install 9.0_STABLE
>   set MAKE_JOBS appropriately for number of cpus
>   kick off pbulk
>
> works?  We need to have no special configuration for bulk builds, or for
> anybody else.  I realize you can work around it on pkgbuild, but this
> should work for everyone.
>

> 2) This MAKE_JOBS=1 forcing is not understandable since it is already
> MAKE_JOBS_SAFE=no on NetBSD.  Please file a PR about this.  I would like
> to have a clear understanding on whether this MAKE_JOBS=1 is needed for
> 9.0_RELEASE or also 9.0_STABLE.   (I wonder if the MAKE_JOBS_SAFE needs
> to be someplace else in the Makefile.)

I fear I can't fill a usefull PR for this. we can't run such tests on pkgbuild,
and the test box where I could check for this has "only" 3Gb ram, so
rust won't build with MAKE_JOBS > 1 anyway.

> If we can
>
> 1) move pkgbuild to STABLE (and document this as how it should be)

no, this is not "how it should be". We can't afford to update the chroot every
now and then. admins needs to be asked to update the chroot when needed.