Re: Providing an easy additional way of avoiding uploading non-redistributable packages

On Fri, May 22, 2020 at 08:57:48PM +0000, coypu%sdf.org@localhost wrote:
 > On Thu, May 21, 2020 at 12:40:27PM -0400, Greg Troxel wrote:
 > > coypu%sdf.org@localhost writes:
 > >
 > > > I'm tempted to use
 > > > SKIP_LICENSE_CHECK=redistributable
 > > >
 > > > It wins on "user friendliness", but possibly looks a bit ugly make-wise,
 > > > to have the tunable appear in two disconnected phases.
 > >
 > > Fine with me.
 >
 > Patch for this attached (went with 'distributable', does that mean
 > something else? ...)

The problem I see with this is that it *looks* like it is a license
filter (as in, it skips the license check only for packages whose
license allows some form of redistribution) but it actually isn't. And
that's bound to lead to a schmozzle eventually.

So I don't think attaching it to SKIP_LICENSE_CHECK is a good idea.

Wouldn't it be better to come up with a variable name that says what
it actually does, something like SKIP_NONDISTRIBUTABLE_BINS=yes?

(also, it should probably check NO_BIN_ON_CDROM as well, although I
don't know why they'd be set differently except by accident...)

(Lilac with cream accents, door and windowframes pale turquoise)

 > Using PKG_SKIP_REASON instead of FAIL.

It should be skip, yes, thanks.

(also I'm not sure if filtering these packages at build time is a good
idea, it pretty much guarantees that they'll stop building eventually)

--
David A. Holland
dholland%netbsd.org@localhost