Re: Providing an easy additional way of avoiding uploading non-redistributable packages

On Fri, May 22, 2020 at 11:53:46PM +0000, maya%NetBSD.org@localhost wrote:
> On Sat, May 23, 2020 at 01:09:26AM +0200, Joerg Sonnenberger wrote:

> > > Patch for this attached (went with 'distributable', does that mean
> > > something else? ...)
> > >
> > > Using PKG_SKIP_REASON instead of FAIL.
> >
> > I still maintain that this is wrong. It solves a problem that only exist
> > by not using the tools that already exist. It also has side effects that
> > are not desirable for a bulk build.
>
> As I understand, the packages that use NO_BIN_ON_FTP are packages like
> meta-pkg/bulk-small. I don't think a package using only BUILD_DEPENDS
> is a big user of disk space, so it isn't worthwhile to keep this logic
> for it.

Those should be dropped, they are just silly. It is primarily set for
complicated copyright or patent situations.

> It makes it easier for people that don't use the canonical upload script
> which has poor discoverability and assumes the setup is that the machine
> from which the uploads are done is the same one as the one doing the
> bulk-building.

I disagree with both. Seriously, it is enabled by default. How much
easier do you want something to be discoverable? It is also not the only
tool we have around for the job, so this is just an excuse. Uploading
from a different machine doesn't make sense either, since the script can
*still* be used to just do the filtering and prep work. Been there, done
that when uploading weekly results when visiting university.

Joerg