Re: Letting gtk3 depend on adwaita-icon-theme

On Sun, Feb 09, 2020 at 03:50:59PM +0100, js-pkgsrc%heap.zone@localhost wrote:
> At run time, there are no dependencies. At build time, only gnome-icon-theme-symbolic is problematic, as it requires rsvg to render them to various sizes. Unfortunately, rsvg had the "brilliant" idea to port to Rust and in the process break many, many architectures and OSes, so at least the gnome-icon-theme-symbolic one is extremely problematic (even on amd64, IMHO, as rust for NetBSD only builds single-threaded and takes insanely long). The other ones don't have such problems.

Adwaita is supposed to depend on rsvg, but in pkgsrc it's hacked around,
falling back to the "legacy" icon set in Adwaita. I'm not sure if this
will work forever.

The problem is not so much that Adwaita in particular is missing, it's
that no icon theme at all is installed, right? Perhaps gtk3 should just
tell users to install an icon theme in MESSAGE...