Re: openssl 1.1 fallout with mmysql, mysql succession planning?

On Sun, Jan 19, 2020 at 08:51:38PM -0500, Greg Troxel wrote:
> Do you mean, "other than mysql-5.5 which is EOL and for which there is
> no reason to use, only a few things broke, and they are all unmaintained
> and deletion candidates"?

Various old things are broken, few of them are immedialy useful that I
would say someone definitely needs to sit down and fix them. Some of the
low hanging fruits have been fixed my me in the last few weeks, but it
is quite possible that it also introduced some regressions for OpenSSL
1.0.

> I don't follow this.  Right now pkgsrc users have to choose between
> mysql 5.5 5.6 or 5.7, and pretty clearly ought to choose 5.7 (from among
> those).  Extending that set to add mariadb and percona seems like a good
> step forward.   I can see the point that we would like bulk builds for
> multiple choices, but I don't see why that should block progress.   Is
> that right, or am I missing something?

I see little reason for choosing MySQL 5.7 over Percona, primarily
advertising the options.

Joerg