Re: openssl 1.1 fallout with mmysql, mysql succession planning?

* On 2020-01-19 at 22:15 GMT, Greg Troxel wrote:

> With the recent update to openssl 1.1, and API_DEPENDS to require it for
> all ssl-using packages, there is a report of mysql 5.5 failing to build
> on netbsd-8.  It also fails in mef@'s 9.0_RC1 bulk build:
>
>   http://www.ki.nu/pkgsrc/reports/current/NetBSD-9.0_RC1/20200115.1134/mysql-client-5.5.62nb3/build.log
>
> due to an apparent withdrawal of a DH structure.

mysql-5.5 is long EOL, and should be removed.

> Does anyone have a sense of how many failures were caused by openssl,
> and prognosis for addressing?

None of note for our builds, hence using openssl-1.1.1 in our 2019Q4
release.

> Sort of separately, mysql seems strange as a project in that we don't
> have a numbe of the newer versions, and nobody seems to want them,
> perhaps because of too-radical changes.  We do have a mariadb version,
> and there are percona versions in the joyent fork of pkgsrc.  Can anyone
> explain the big picture, and what we should be doing vs where we are?

Mostly lack of those elusive circular tuits on my part, Percona is
much preferred IMO, I try to keep it reasonably updated in our
repository and it works quite well as a cluster, e.g.:

  https://github.com/joyent/pkgsrc/wiki/use:percona-cluster

We haven't kept MariaDB as current, but it's popular on other OS and
it would be good if someone was interested in it on our side.

The complicated part is bringing over the changes from our pbulkmulti
branch so that users aren't forced into a single mysqlclient
implementation.