Re: Why do we need Python sub-modules?

Adam <adam%NetBSD.org@localhost> writes:

> In couple of days I would like to change all Pythons to include
> missing modules: curses, curses_panel, elementtree, sqlite3, pyexpact,
> readline, spwd, Again, Python modules do not list them as dependencies
> (why would they?), but assume they exist, so it is hard to properly
> package Python with the current setup.
>
> I will remove module packages (py-readline, py-curses, ...) and bump
> revision for packages that depend on them.

The really big question is why we split this off, if those reasons still
hold, and what the alternative approaches are.

It seems a bit much for the core langauge to have these dependencies,
and I'm guessing we have them split to avoid them.  Your point about
programs not declaring them because they are supposed to be part of the
language is valid, but it seems a python/python-base or
python-full/python split with dependencies would solve that while
allowing those who want to be lean to be continue doing so.

In particular, python is under a permissive license, and while it's not
entirely clear, linking in real readline would seem to move it to GPL.
Or maybe it's just a raedline module that is merely aggregated...  Can
you explain if there are any licensing impacts?

Overall this feels like a big change so I think we should allow for
discussion.