CHECK_PORTABILITY_SKIP and ~ files

I am checking an rc of a package, and found a new bashism had crept in,
from check-portability.awk finding "test ==".  To make progress on
testing, I edited configure after unpacking, and that left configure.~1~
with "test ==", which then failed.

  ERROR: [check-portability.awk] configure.~1~: if test
  "x$with_interrupt_tests" == "xno"; then

I don't know if the right answer* is:

  I should have made a proper patch and check-portability knows to skip
  .orig files.

  we should omit ~ files from check-portability tests

but this surprised me so I thought I'd mention it.

* Obviously the right answer is that everybody else should use test
  correctly every single time, but that's unlikely.