Re: glibmm build issues with gcc 4.8

Jason Bacon <bacon4000%gmail.com@localhost> writes:

> On 12/29/17 00:17, David Holland wrote:
>> On Thu, Dec 28, 2017 at 08:47:16PM -0500, Greg Troxel wrote:
>>   > > This is icky, because it does mean programs that build with 4.8 may
>>   > > link against glibmm which built with 4.9.
>>   >
>>   > And, atkmm does not build against glibmm.   So I object to my own idea ;-)
>>   > This seems more complicated than I thought...
>>
>> I'd expect all the *mm would need 4.9... might also want to tag
>> libsigc++, which is their common infrastructure.
>>
> Is this relevant here?
>
> https://wiki.netbsd.org/pkgsrc/gcc/
>
>  * C++ packages that are linked together should be built with the same
>    compiler, because the standard library ABI is not necessarily the
>    same for each compiler version
>  * While C packages can be built with mixed versions, the binary should
>    be linked with the higher version because the support library is
>    backwards compatible but not forward compatible.
>
> It may be necessary for all dependent packages to inherit the minimum
> GCC version.

Yes, It is basically necessary for everything to be built with the same
version.  But, that's a huge change, and I don't want to have massive
change now, especially since it's not the right long-term solution.

> I haven't had this issue on CentOS.  I often build libraries with
> gcc4[89] and link them with the Yum 4.4.7 compiler, but the ABIs might
> not be as uniform on other platforms.

Interesting, but the build of gtkmm fails hard early on with a linking
error, when I have glibmm built with 4.9.