Re: glibmm build issues with gcc 4.8

On 12/29/17 00:17, David Holland wrote:
On Thu, Dec 28, 2017 at 08:47:16PM -0500, Greg Troxel wrote:
  > > This is icky, because it does mean programs that build with 4.8 may
  > > link against glibmm which built with 4.9.
  >
  > And, atkmm does not build against glibmm.   So I object to my own idea ;-)
  > This seems more complicated than I thought...

I'd expect all the *mm would need 4.9... might also want to tag
libsigc++, which is their common infrastructure.

Is this relevant here?

https://wiki.netbsd.org/pkgsrc/gcc/

 * C++ packages that are linked together should be built with the same
   compiler, because the standard library ABI is not necessarily the
   same for each compiler version
 * While C packages can be built with mixed versions, the binary should
   be linked with the higher version because the support library is
   backwards compatible but not forward compatible.

It may be necessary for all dependent packages to inherit the minimum GCC version.

I haven't had this issue on CentOS.  I often build libraries with gcc4[89] and link them with the Yum 4.4.7 compiler, but the ABIs might not be as uniform on other platforms.

--
Earth is a beta site.