Re: tex metapackages

On Sun, 17 Sep 2017 19:18:39 +0000 David Holland
<dholland-pkgtech%netbsd.org@localhost> wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 15, 2017 at 08:26:34AM +0200, Thomas Klausner wrote:
>  > It is there:
>  >
>  > meta-pkgs/texlive-collection-all
>
> I would expect that to install all kinds of random other stuff besides
> "the things I need to prepare ordinary documents"...

I think you'll have to specify what you mean by "ordinary documents".
And I believe you'll find that such a definition encodes policy
decisions which are contentious, and which will have to be revisited
fairly frequently as the TeX ecosystem evolves (and yes, it is
evolving).  If I have space, I install everything.  If I don't have
space, then I install the packages that I need as I need them, and
those are almost certainly not the packages you need.  I haven't yet
seen a usefully generalizable middle ground.

--
IDL