Re: libarchive fails to build - permissions

On Tue, Jun 21, 2016 at 12:01:17PM -0400, Greg Troxel wrote:

> Joerg Sonnenberger <joerg%bec.de@localhost> writes:
>
> > On Tue, Jun 21, 2016 at 09:49:15AM -0400, Greg Troxel wrote:
> >> I use CVSREAD=t so that files are read-only until I explicitly use "cvs
> >> edit".  (In general we have a notion that sources can be read only, both
> >> as a fs and source files permissions, so this doesn't seem that odd of
> >> me.)
> >
> > Yes, it is. Frankly, I find this a case of "local issue". If you want to
>
> Where is it documented that the files in pkgsrc/ must have the user
> write permission bit set?  That seems like a bizarre requirement.
>
> Consider having pkgsrc on a CD, where files are conventionally 444
> because they are in a read-only filesystem.

There is no reasons for ISO9660 to have 444 permissions. It is perfectly
fine for it to have 644. That's exactly my point. You are applying
random local changes to the CVS checkout and something breaks. This has
happened over and over again in different parts of the tree. I'm sick of
that. Consider this a call for officially unsupporting such crap. It
doesn't even do what you are prentending it is doing. It does *not*
make the tree read-only. At best it makes individual files read-only and
even then, only if the change attempt is made directly and not e.g. by
unlinking first.

Joerg