Re: Prefer pkgsrc OpenSSL after 2016Q1.

"J. Lewis Muir" <jlmuir%imca-cat.org@localhost> writes:

>> That's right. I run netbsd-6, netbsd-7, and just do "cvs update" and
>> BUILD-NetBSD/INSTALL-NetBSD/reboot quite often.  It's nearly painless.
>
> Hi, Greg!
>
> Are you saying that you do that regularly even if you don't have an
> issue that needs fixing?  How frequent is "quite often?"  Once a week?

Absent a known issue, I try to do it every two months.   If I didn't
have to reboot to get the new kernel I would do it more often, but
usually the changes are minor.

> I run the stable CVS branch too, and I also use your etcmanage tool
> and its BUILD-NetBSD and INSTALL-NetBSD programs.  (They work great,
> by the way!)  However, I definitely do *not* just "cvs update" and
> build, install, and reboot often.  I only update when there's a security
> advisory or a bug fix I need.

Your call, but the great thing about the stable branches is that the
releng team is so good at being careful that it's a very rare occurence
that update/build/install/reboot leads to trouble.

> I depend on security advisories to tell
> me when I should update.  If security advisories are not being generated
> in a timely manner, then that would be a real concern for me.

I also watch src-changes, and the pullups to the branches are quite
obvious there.

Also, you can update the cvs tree, and not necessarily build, and  when
you see 1000 changed files under openssl that's a clue :-)

You're right that faster SA publishing would be great, but this is all
volunteer stuff, and there's too much to do.  The actual pullups are far
more important, and it seems to be that the people involved (who welcome
help) prioritze getting the pullups done.

So while you're technically right about SAs, I don't see it as actually
stopping you from getting what you want.