Re: XFree86 support in "x11-links" package

Matthias Scheler <tron%zhadum.org.uk@localhost> writes:

> 	Hello,
>
> the "x11-links" package still has support for XFree86. Considering that
> "pkgsrc" doen't even use the old X.org distributed with NetBSD 6.* I am
> wondering whether this is still useful.

As I read platform/NetBSD.mk, the default is native on 6 and up.
However I am using modular on 6, and 6 would not be affected by the change.

> I seriously doubt that it is and would therefore like to remove it.

As you know, some people run old no-longer-supported versions of
operating systems like OS X 10.7 ;-) I'd like to avoid us losing support
for older versions of Free software systems if it isn't causing
trouble.

netbsd-5 in particular is not so crufty and I'd like to avoid problems
on that, but that seems to use xorg in base, and if I am following
correctly NetBSD 4 is the last NetBSD branch to use XFree86.  However,
pkgsrc on netbsd-4 and -5 defaults to and only really works with modular
From pkgsrc, so your proposed change doesn't actually hurt people on
netbsd-4.

Is that description correct?  Are there are systems, even ancient, where
this change will cause reduced functionality?  Or are you saying that on
all systems, we either default to X11_TYPE=modular or the base is at
least xorg?