Re: XFree86 support in "x11-links" package

On Sat, Nov 07, 2015 at 07:05:26AM -0500, Greg Troxel wrote:
> > the "x11-links" package still has support for XFree86. Considering that
> > "pkgsrc" doen't even use the old X.org distributed with NetBSD 6.* I am
> > wondering whether this is still useful.
>
> As I read platform/NetBSD.mk, the default is native on 6 and up.

Ah, so it's NetBSD 5.* which uses X.org from "pkgsrc". My mistake.

> However I am using modular on 6, and 6 would not be affected by the change.
>
> > I seriously doubt that it is and would therefore like to remove it.
>
> As you know, some people run old no-longer-supported versions of
> operating systems like OS X 10.7 ;-) I'd like to avoid us losing support
> for older versions of Free software systems if it isn't causing
> trouble.

I don't want to drop support for NetBSD 5.* or older. But those systems
already have to use X.org from "pkgsrc" AFAIK.

> Is that description correct?  Are there are systems, even ancient, where
> this change will cause reduced functionality?  Or are you saying that on
> all systems, we either default to X11_TYPE=modular or the base is at
> least xorg?

Yes, something along those lines. With the particular exceptions for
OpenWindows and IRIX that exist in the "x11-links" package.

	Kind regards

--
Matthias Scheler                                 https://zhadum.org.uk/