Re: pkgsrc-wip: how much CVS history imported to git?

Je 2015-10-03 17:12:37
"John D. Baker" <jdbaker%mylinuxisp.com@localhost> skribis:

> On Tue, 29 Sep 2015, Mateusz Poszwa wrote:
>
> > Instead of applying a diff, I suggest using
> > $ git checkout    <sha> -- foo bar/baz
> > or if only some parts need reverting
> > $ git checkout -p <sha> -- foo bar/baz
>
> Thanks!  This is just the pointer I needed.  One thing to keep in mind
> is that one must use the <sha> hash of the commit BEFORE the one that
> changed the bit you're interested in rolling back.

Yes. You don’t specify the earliest commit to roll back.
You specify the state of the tree to which you want to return.

> Back under CVS, I just used:
>
>   $ cvs update -D "<datespec>" foo
>
> to roll back to just a minute or so before the earliest change in the
> affected group of files.  I suppose using:
>
>   git log --before foo --after bar
>
> would have shown me the relevant commit hash(es), but it wasn't clear how
> to give the datespecs.

Try ‘3 days before last week’, ‘yesterday’, ‘-1 hour’
or ‘3 hours, 8 minutes, and 38 seconds ago’.
See `info date` for more information.
You can also specify HEAD~3 to go back by 3 commits,
or HEAD~ to undo the last change.

I’m sorry about off-topic. It’s not a git list after all.

--
Mateusz Poszwa