Re: wip/tme ready for review

On 2015-07-15 15:49, Greg Troxel wrote:
phabrics%phabrics.com@localhost writes:

Thanks for being willing to address comments!
You're welcome. They were good suggestions! The requested changes are now completed and checked into wip/tme. I believe it's ready for release pending any further
review.  Let me know if there is anything further I should do.

The --disable-recode needs a comment. It seems like it's addressing an
upstream bug.

Correct.  Recode currently only works on 32-bit platforms, for reasons
which are a bit complex to fix in another release.  An ongoing issue I
hope to correct in some future release, but reasonably fast machines
should work just fine without it.

Totally reasonable.  Perhaps upstream configure should just
detect/avoid.  But you have omitted it for MACHINE_ARCH=x86_64, but not
sparc64, mips64, probably some other LP64 machines I am forgetting, and
not alpha.

My language was imprecise but the Makefile is essentially correct. Recode targets only the x86_64/i386 platforms, in the configuration. I could change
it there, but the logic involved would be convoluted because the code is
there and it does work in principle, but it has "issues" at runtime. Recode does not target any other hosts and it is disabled automatically for them. Until such time as I can track down the issue, it's much simpler to leave it in and
disable it at build time.

I was thinking of adding a pkgsrc option for this, as well as for selecting other features at compile time but I think I will leave this for another day, unless there
is demand for it.

-Ruben