Re: wip/tme ready for review

phabrics%phabrics.com@localhost writes:

Thanks for being willing to address comments!

> OK, I will switch to 0.10.  These were all done during the BETA phase.
> I had it at 1.0, but upstream said 0.10 was next, which I assume is
> <0.8.

0.10 is higher than 0.8.  Version numbers separated by . sort
numerically.

>> Should the .h files be installed?  Are they a public interface?
>
> I think this was the idea.  This was from the original package, the
> idea being to create a modular implementation for external plug-ins.
> However, this hasn't happened yet, but for now, I think I will just
> leave it alone unless there are major objections to it.

No major objection, just asking.   Arguably the upstream README should
explain the plan, but not necessary to fix.

>> The --disable-recode needs a comment.  It seems like it's addressing an
>> upstream bug.
>
> Correct.  Recode currently only works on 32-bit platforms, for reasons
> which are a bit complex to fix in another release.  An ongoing issue I
> hope to correct in some future release, but reasonably fast machines
> should work just fine without it.

Totally reasonable.  Perhaps upstream configure should just
detect/avoid.  But you have omitted it for MACHINE_ARCH=x86_64, but not
sparc64, mips64, probably some other LP64 machines I am forgetting, and
not alpha.