Re: GCC version zoo

Tobias Nygren <tnn%NetBSD.org@localhost> writes:

> Can somebody who is clued in please explain the reasons why we need GCC
> 4.4, 4.5, 4.6, 4.7, 4.8 and 4.9 in pkgsrc, why 4.9 does not work for
> everyone and finally make an educated guess if these reasons hold true
> for the newly release GCC 5 series and thus if we should create
> lang/gcc51 right away or if lang/gcc5 (which would eventually get
> updated to 5.2) could be acceptable.

I am definitely not clued in enough to have a strong opinion on this.
But from looking at the situation from some distance, it seems the basic
issue is that often one must use a version of gcc that's new enough,
because of some feature used in the code and sometimes one must use a
version that's old enough because something breaks with the latest.
That seems to be more true of gcc than clang.

It would help if we had better version selection logic, and then maybe
we could start pruning.

I don't see any way to predict that we can update 5.1 to 5.2 without
keeping 5.1.  Past history doesn't make that seem likely.