Re: bulk builds and failed packages

On Tue, Apr 21, 2015 at 07:03:44AM -0300, Jared McNeill wrote:
 > I've got a setup running for NetBSD/earmv7hf 7.0 that basically does cvs
 > update, bulkbuild, rsync in a loop. Mostly good, but I have one issue I
 > have yet to solve.
 >
 > Since the destination has limited disk space, I need to pass --delete to
 > rsync. My concern is that if a package fails to build on one of the
 > iterations, there will be a possibly long window where the package will be
 > unavailable. The turnaround time for "spot error in build, check in fix,
 > wait for current bulk build to complete, pick up change, wait for next bulk
 > build to complete" could be weeks, even with the limited set of packages I
 > am building.
 >
 > So what I'm looking for is some kind of solution that in the event of a
 > package build failure, grab the last known binary package (probably want to
 > grab the closest matching version) if present and stuff that in with the
 > other packages. There is always a chance that the old binary package will
 > not work but I would rather try it than not have it.

It would be nice (TM) if pbulk did this on its own, or if there were
some additional package repository maintenance tool that pbulk could
plug into to do this.

I think doing it right (and not belching on things like apache
versions) requires access to the scan data, and preferably access to
the history of the scan data across build runs.

--
David A. Holland
dholland%netbsd.org@localhost