Re: GCC version zoo

On Fri, 24 Apr 2015 23:29:18 +0200
Kamil Rytarowski <n54%gmx.com@localhost> wrote:

> Tobias Nygren wrote:
> > Can somebody who is clued in please explain the reasons why we need GCC
> > 4.4, 4.5, 4.6, 4.7, 4.8 and 4.9 in pkgsrc, why 4.9 does not work for
> > everyone and finally make an educated guess if these reasons hold true
> > for the newly release GCC 5 series and thus if we should create
> > lang/gcc51 right away or if lang/gcc5 (which would eventually get
> > updated to 5.2) could be acceptable.
>
> Please keep these GCC releases, I make use of them - not daily but
> occasionally I test things under various GCC and it fits my needs.
>
> My only concern is with gcc, please rename it to gcc2.
>
> Please import GCC 5.1 as gcc51 and make room for 5.2 (gcc52).

I was not even going to suggest removing anything at this point.
I don't have any good reason other than that I suspect we're carrying
more of upstream's corpses than we need to and I'm well aware that
argument won't fly with some people. I've concluded that the easiest
way to avoid such debate is to try hard to avoid forking packages in
the first place. But your points are valid and answer the question I
had, so thanks for that. Let's add gcc51 and let the old bits rot in
peace.

Kind regards,
-Tobias