Re: libressl status

"Paul B. Henson" <henson%acm.org@localhost> writes:

> As an alternative perspective, I made a similar inquiry on the Gentoo dev
> list:
>
> https://archives.gentoo.org/gentoo-dev/message/04d2637c6ad764062396fec3b6f9f
> 1e5
>
> They seem to be leaning towards only allowing openssl or libressl to be
> installed on a given system, but not both. That seems like it would be
> problematic over time, unless both projects make a more concerted effort for
> interoperability 8-/.

A third perspective is that FreeBSD seems to be moving towards hiding
the base openssl so that only base system programs can use it, leaving
all ports to use openssl from ports.  The point is to enable updating
base openssl while only considering impacts on the programs in base.
So this is essentiall two openssl installs with different prefixes.