Re: libressl status

On 6 April 2015 at 23:13, Paul B. Henson <henson%acm.org@localhost> wrote:
> They seem to be leaning towards only allowing openssl or libressl to be
> installed on a given system, but not both. That seems like it would be
> problematic over time, unless both projects make a more concerted effort for
> interoperability 8-/.

I would say before we import libressl into pkgsrc, we should address
all the packages which are currently broken by LibreSSL. The bulkbuild
on OpenBSD/amd64 gives us a clear picture of what needs fixing and
luckily in most of the major cases (Python & Apache) fixes have been
applied upstream.
http://mail-index.netbsd.org/pkgsrc-bulk/2015/04/06/msg011484.html

We should take a proactive approach to this as even if we do not do
anything about importing LibreSSL into pkgsrc, some of the issues will
eventually affect us when OpenSSL 1.0.3 is released e.g. the removal
of des_methods which breaks net/wget
https://wiki.freebsd.org/LibreSSL/PatchingPorts#Deprecated_des__methods

I'd personally like to see a complete switch to LibreSSL however it is
not currently possible due to do that with all the operating systems
we support in pkgsrc e.g AIX or IRIX. It is likely that both will
co-exist for some time.

Sevan / Venture37