Re: switching netbsd-5 to modular xorg, again, this time really

David Holland wrote:
>On Sat, Aug 30, 2014 at 11:31:23AM -0400, Greg Troxel wrote:
>> We've talked about this multiple times.  Bulk builds on 2014Q2 are
>> showing massive failures on netbsd-5.  The underlying issue is that
>> netbsd-5 base system xsrc is really old, and enough things need newer
>> that we are increasingly having to work hard to get new enough for them
>> and coexist with old.  At this point I think it's a losing battle, and
>> there's no good reason to try.  Using modular xorg works quite well, and
>> I've been building on netbsd-5 with it for quite a long time.

Which video card families have been tested with modular xorg on
netbsd-5 ?

Would it be possible to switch to using userspace of modular xorg but
keep using the server from base ?

>The other option is to update X in -5... I've thought for some time it
>would be good to do this, despite the compat costs.
>
>(Is there anything major that precludes just syncing it with head? I
>would expect perhaps a few build problems, but that sort of thing
>should be easily sortable.)

I think it would need to sync with a point older than head, the
version of the intel video driver in -current (and pkgsrc) needs
KMS and building an older version looks as if it needs an older
server.

Robert Swindells