Re: PERL5_PACKLIST and .orig files

    Date:        Wed, 26 Feb 2014 15:38:45 +0100
    From:        Thomas Klausner <wiz%NetBSD.org@localhost>

  | For the same reason that we keep the orig files for patches:
  | To make it easy to regenerate patches.

But that is relevant only to people developing patches. and only
for the packages that you are actually developing the packages for.

  | If SUBST also made .orig files,

It does, but ...

  | Of course we could use a different suffix,

It does, .subst.sav  ... but they're removed after the SUBST
is done, unless you set a magic var to cause them to be kept (it
is all documented, kind of, in subst.mk)

That's just what developers need - they can find out what SUBST did,
when they are developing (or updgrading) a package, but all the rest
of the time, when they serve no purpose, they are removed.

Want to try again for wy SUBST and patch are treated differently?

  | but still I don't really see the point of your crusade against .orig files.

It is hardly a crusade just a request for sanity, and consistency.

kre