Re: PERL5_PACKLIST and .orig files

On Wed, Feb 26, 2014 at 09:24:11PM +0700, Robert Elz wrote:
> And you have been pointedly ignoring the question of why the defaults
> for keeping the original file is different when patch is used to update
> it than when SUBST is.   How can those being different possibly make sense?

For the same reason that we keep the orig files for patches:
To make it easy to regenerate patches.

If SUBST also made .orig files, when regenerating patches you would
get extra patches for the changes done by SUBST.

Of course we could use a different suffix, but still I don't really
see the point of your crusade against .orig files.
 Thomas