Re: PERL5_PACKLIST and .orig files

    Date:        Wed, 26 Feb 2014 14:28:34 +0100
    From:        Joerg Sonnenberger <joerg%britannica.bec.de@localhost>

  | We do set --suffix. You can disable the backup creation yourself by
  | providing an empty suffix. I don't like the change in the GNU default,
  | so I am opposed to adopting it...

While I am not sure I believe that creating backup files by default is
the right choice for patch, changing that was not the suggestion.

What matters is the way patch us used from pkgsrc, not what how it
works when run from the command line.   Inside pkgsrc I do not believe
that .orig file creation (most of the time) makes any sense.

And you have been pointedly ignoring the question of why the defaults
for keeping the original file is different when patch is used to update
it than when SUBST is.   How can those being different possibly make sense?

kre