Re: adding server support to pgsql.mk?

On Mon, Sep 23, 2013 at 07:59:08AM -0400, Greg Troxel wrote:

> Thomas Klausner <wiz%NetBSD.org@localhost> writes:
>
> > mk/pgsql.buildlink3.mk currently supports choosing a postgresql client
> > package.
> >
> > Some programs need an SQL server though, and you can't have
> > mismatching postgresql client and server versions installed, so I
> > thought about extending it to allow choosing a server version.
> >
> > Something like a user-settable variable PGSQL_SERVER, defaulting to
> > no, which can be set to yes before including pgsql.buildlink3.mk and
> > then pulls in the corresponding server instead.
>
> Do you mean package-settable variable?

You're right, package-settable.

> Are there really any packages which need the server and don't need the
> client?   If the variable caused the server to be depended on also, that
> seems fine.  The server requires the client anyway, so this is only
> about dependency cleanliness.

I don't really care if it adds a dependency on the client as well. For
the package I was thinking of I guess it gets the client support
indirectly (using a python module).

> Another thought is to have PGSQL_COMPONENTS which is ?= to client, and
> can be set to a list, currently valid if a subset of "client server",
> and to which other components could get added.  I'm not sure how much of
> that we should do; depending on postgresql${PGSQL_VERSION}-foo is not so
> terrible.

I don't need this. I don't know why one would depend on the other
packages. Can someone think of a reason?
 Thomas